While many homeowners don’t want to admit it, winter is just around the corner. As the weather grows colder and everyone looks to the sky for signs of snow, homeowners will begin to prepare their homes for the winter conditions. One element of the home that some homeowners may neglect with winter maintenance is their wood fence.
Wood fences take plenty of abuse year round. Most people can imagine the damage that is caused throughout the summer season, but they never consider the damage winter can cause to wood fences. Some damaging elements from the winter season that can harm wood fences include:
- Falling debris caused by severe weather can cause damage to your wood fences.
- Snow and rain can damage the fibers of your wood fences, leaving them vulnerable to mold and rot. Debris that remains on your fence after a snow fall can also trap moisture near the fence, causing more damage.
- Soil can shift after heavy amounts of rain and snow. As the soil shifts, the beams of your wood fence that provide support can become weak and unstable.
In order to combat these potential damages, consider these winter maintenance tips for your wood fences:
- Remove any debris from your wood fence when able. This will prevent moisture from being trapped near your fence to prevent rotting.
- As you shovel snow from your walkways, brush away snow resting on your wood fence. This will remove the extra weight from your fence while also removing the harmful moisture. Try to brush away any snow that may be resting around the posts of your wood fence.
- If you notice a large amount of moisture around your fence, be sure to monitor the stability of your fence posts. If you notice the posts have become unstable, call Hercules Fence. Our professionals will help repair the posts to keep your wooden fence stable and effective.
At Hercules Fence, we specialize in the installation and maintenance of several fence styles throughout the Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina areas. Residential fencing provides a welcoming appearance to complement your home. Our sales team can offer you many selections to choose from to accommodate your privacy, semi-privacy, and decorative needs, and our professionals use only the highest quality materials to install your fence at a price that is reasonable and affordable. We also specialize in commercial fencing to keep your business safe and secure while also looking professional and welcoming.
To get started with winter maintenance for wood fences, call us today at 1-800-883-3623. You can also visit our contact page to find a full list of our locations and phone numbers.