When Hercules Fence customers are considering a new residential fence for their home, two of their options include an iron fence and an aluminum fence. With these two types of fences, there are two different types of finishes that can be used to complete the fence. These two finishes are a baked enamel finish or a powder coated finish. At Hercules Fence, we choose the powder coating finish option when treating our aluminum and iron fences.
What is a Powder Coated Finish?
When you use a powder coated finish for a fence, you are not using a paint base. Instead, a dry powder is given an electrostatic charge to allow it to attract to the metals of the fence. A thermal bond is then created between the metal and the powder by placing the fence materials in an oven. This process creates a durable finish that eliminates the need for paint.
How is a Powder Coated Finish Made?
There is a simple four step process to create and use a powder coated finish. These steps are:
- Sand-blasting the metals to create a smooth and bare finish for the powder to cling to.
- In order to prevent any rusting, an anti-rust sealer is applied.
- The metal is then treated with a zinc primer to ensure durability.
- A finishing coat made of polyester is then applied to the material to finish off the process.
Is there an Advantage?
The advantages of using a powder coated finish are as follows:
- Even finish upon completion while baked enamel can show streaks and paint patterns.
- Finish is more durable.
- A powder coated finish is thicker in consistency, providing better coverage.
- A powder coated finish is safer for the environment.
At Hercules Fence, we specialize in the installation and maintenance of several fence styles throughout the Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina areas. Residential fencing provides a welcoming appearance to complement your home. Our sales team can offer you many selections to choose from to accommodate your privacy, semi-privacy, and decorative needs, and our professionals use only the highest quality materials to install your fence at a price that is reasonable and affordable. We also specialize in commercial fencing to keep your business safe and secure while also looking professional and welcoming.
To get started with your new aluminum or iron fence for your home, call us today at 1-800-883-3623. You can also visit our contact page to find a full list of our locations and phone numbers.