It is almost that time of year. The birds are chirping and the weather is heating up; summer is almost here. But before you take that cover off of your pool, make sure you have taken every step necessary to ensure your family’s safety. This article provides a few helpful tips to protect your family.
A swimming pool can be a very dangerous place for children. But there are several steps you can take to keep your child out of harms way.
• Always supervise your children when around the pool – never leave them alone. An adult should be within arms’ length of the child at all times.
• Keep rescue equipment and a telephone by the pool.
• Air-filled swimming aids are no substitute for approved life vests.
• Remove toys from the pool after use.
• Secure the pool when it is not in use.
• Put up a fence to separate your house and pool. Most young children who drown in pools wander out of the house and fall into the pool. Install a fence at least 4 feet high around all 4 sides of the pool. This fence should completely separate the house and play area of the yard from the pool.
• Use gates that self-close and self-latch, with latches higher than your children’s reach.
• A power safety cover that meets the standards of the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) may add to the protection of your children. But this is not a substitute for the fence between your house and pool. Even fencing around your pool and using a power safety cover will not prevent all drownings.
If you have anymore questions about pool safety or fence installation, contact Hercules Fence by clicking here today!